Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

182/365


181/365, originally uploaded by DarrenNunis.
182/365. 1 July 2010

Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon and Garfunkel

Had dinner with an old boss and good friend tonight down in South Melbourne. We were just shooting the breeze and yada yada. Great food, this place called Garamerica.

Before you start pronouncing it as GAR-AMERICA, be advised that it is an Indonesian restaurant and hence the name should mean something in Indonesian. Well the first time I saw this place, I thought it was a strange name for an Indonesian restaurant. Even with my limited knowledge of the language, I still knew that it meant nothing. Anyway weeks later, an Indonesian colleague of mine set the record straight and told me that it was pronounced GARAM-MERI-CHA, as in salt and pepper (in Indonesian). Man was I embarrassed. I should have known the first time I saw the name, but then again isn't that why the space bar was invented!

Anyway today's shot is just next to the said restaurant. In the background is the facade of an old church that has now become retail space for rugs. What was interesting though was how the street lights just emphasised the tree in the foreground and the few leaves left on the branches. I decided to emphasise the colours a bit more by placing the background in black and white and leaving the foreground in it's original colour. Till tomorrow then.

No comments:

Post a Comment